cookie crumbs...

lots of blah-blahs that come across my mind every now and then...

Friday, February 20, 2004

My Friday Morning Disaster

Today, I just found out the real meaning of ‘over-populated’.

Being stuck in a traffic congestion for FOUR HOURS on my way from home to the office (which is only 10 kilometers away) really gave me a brand new perspective on the condition we’re in rite now… *serious mode on*

I never really care about the politics, economy (even though I studied economy back in the university), or other current general issue… heck, I can’t even tell in which part of Indonesia that Ujung Pandang lies…. Anyway, all these times, I think I’m living in a peaceful world, with happy people around me (sure, call me ignorant or whateva you like), but that was what I really believed…

However, when I saw the floods hitting almost all areas surrounding my house, causing me to take an alternative route to the office (which led to my ‘journey to the office’ disaster), and lots of ‘polisi cepek’ who tried to help by giving directions to hundreds of cars, but they ended up making the traffic worse! Not to mention all the donation boxes that they were all holding, with the signs that read ‘Sumbangan bagi Korban Banjir’…. It made me wonder, was it that bad?!?!

The scene that I saw this morning was like…. The scene on Armageddon or one of those disaster movies, where all the citizens just panicking, getting out on to the streets, causing mayhem, thousands of cars lining up on the streets, honking, and everything….

First, I thought it was cool…. I never saw that kinda chaos before…. Two hours later, it wasn’t that cool anymore… it was stressful! Being in a car, all alone… for four hours!!! (it really gives me the creeps just by thinking of it) *shiver*

Anyhow… the scenes, the loneliness, and the hours I had to spent in the car doin nothing… gave me a chance to think about, what is happenin to us?!?!?! I started to think, is our country okay? Is our city okay? Are we okay?

I started to run thru my memory, about whateva things that’s been happening lately, and scrutinized if I could find sumthin that might be the cause of the floods and everythin…. and found nothing!

I just realized that I’ve been an ignorant, unaware, badly-informed person all these times….

There are loads of news goin on around me, and I don’t give a damn about it….

The feelin of remorse and disappointment is flooding towards myself… and I started to wonder, whether the disasters like these happen because of the people like me… the people who doesn’t care…

But I never did anything that’s destructive to anything… then again, I might not realize that even when I’m doin it…

Then it hit me… the biggest problem our country’s havin is not caused by the corruptors, or the swindling, deceitful, fraudulent government officials… it is caused by the people who doesn’t care about their country… the people who know that their country’s in a deep shit, and doesn’t give a damn bout it…. and I might as well be one of’em….

It’s a sad fact that I just found out…

After all these… you may well be thinkin that I’ll be payin more attention to the news and everything…. Well, to tell ya the truth… I couldn’t care less about it…. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home